Monday, December 17, 2012

#1: Christmastime is Near: Ugly Christmas Sweater

Hello again and welcome to my first featured transformation! Since it's almost Christmas I thought I'd start way back when I was invited to an ugly Christmas sweater party 2 years ago. I was looking forward to a fun relief from my first quarter of grad school, but I didn't have an ugly Christmas sweater. I looked at a local thrift store, but the prices for ugly sweaters had skyrocketed (I guess there's a demand for them this time of year). There was no way I was going to pay $16 for a used ugly Christmas sweater. So I decided to make one. I found a sparkly blue cardigan for somewhere around $3 at my favorite thrift store (sorry, no before photo). My favorite thrift store has a dollar store next door, so I waltzed on over to check out their Christmas decorations. I snagged a few gaudy stockings, stickers, and ornaments.

 It looked kind of like this. (I found this image online)

I cut up the stockings, positioned pieces on the sweater, and took to hand-stitching. 

Frosty the sew man! (Ok, I know that was kind of lame)


For the ornament I used sticky foam to secure it to the shirt. Then I just stuck on some stickers.
Stickers!

And voila! A homemade, inexpensive ugly Christmas sweater.
Ugly Christmas Sweater!


We had a blast at the party, and I even won for best sweater! I also made a turtleneck sweater for my husband, but his had 3-D cats on it and was quite ugly : )

So there it is. My first posted clothing transformation (intended to be ugly). Check back in a few days and I'll try to post another, prettier transformation! Blessings,

~Leanne


No comments:

Post a Comment