I found this shirt at a local thrift shop for super cheap. You can imagine why (my husband/model didn't even want to show his face in this shirt!).
It also had so much material under the arm that it looked like a wingsuit.
I think it was actually a women's shirt, but the collar and shininess inspired me to see it with potential Indian style flair.
|Simple Indian Kurta|
I had something in mind, but needed another piece, so I found this shirt at a thrift store for a buck.
|Before: From behind|
I am only used to making clothes to fit my body. Menswear is a whole different category with which I have no experience, and men's bodies are so much different to size than women's. So this was more like an experiment.
In order to get the look I wanted, I first removed the fancy buttons.
Next, I removed the shoulder pads.
|My man has enough shoulders, thank you ;)|
The main thing was removing that orange lace from the front. I actually had to remove the button and shoulder seams completely to get it all out and sew the shirt back together.
|One side gone|
This shirt had ridiculously large underarm material, and was ultra long, but was very narrow at the hips. In order to get the sizing right, I used one of my husband's work shirts as a template.
|Sizing the shirt|
I pinned, outlined, and cut off a large portion of the underarm and sleeve.
|Cutting the sleeve|
Then I shortened the sleeve and measured it out over the white shirt.
|Making a new sleeve|
I had never made sleeves before, so this was basically trial and error...with little error!
I pinned and sewed the open sleeve...
|Pinning the sleeve|
|Sewing the sleeve and side seams|
I sewed a new hem around the sleeves, and sewed a new hem around the bottom to shorten the shirt.
The only buttons of the same size that I had at the time were all mismatch (pink, orange, black, clear), so I colored the buttons black with a permanent marker. Quick fix!
|Coloring the buttons|
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
For the second piece, I'm makin' a vest. I took the black shirt and cut off the sleeves.
|Cut off the sleeves|
I also removed the collar and zipper. Then I cut and folded the neckline to a deeper V.
|Removed the zipper|
After that, I folded, pinned, and sewed the arm holes and took in the sides a bit.
|Preparing the new arm holes|
|Sewing the arm holes|
I tried to do some fancy design around the collar, but it didn't really show up very well. Oh well!
A newly-transformed shirt and sweater-like vest make my menswear project complete!
Here again is how they looked before:
And here is the new menswear look!
|After: From behind|
So there it is. I hope you liked this menswear transformation. Honestly, I don't think I'll be doing another one any time soon unless I become ultra-inspired again (plus, I don't think my husband will want to model anymore).
I hope you enjoyed it! Feel free to leave a comment below letting me know what you think.
Thanks, and come back again soon!
Until next time, blessings.