So my husband and I have an agreement that I will not buy any new thrift store projects until I've finished everything I've already got in my big bag of transformations, which means I haven't gone thrifting in a few months (yeah, I've got a lot of projects in that bag!). But while I was looking for a non-project item at a thrift store, I found and fell in love with this project dress, and my husband made an exception as long as I got rid of something else in my closet : )
|Before: Asymetrical Lined Dress|
|Before: From Behind|
The asymmetrically-lined outside looked pretty bland, but I was really digging the light blue polka-dotted 2nd layer of the dress. Once I got it home and tried it on, I realized that it kind of looked like a hospital gown.
|Blue Polka Dot Under layer|
I knew exactly what I wanted to do with this dress that would hopefully make it less hospital-chic ;) Let's see what I did!
The shoulder straps had been shortened by folding and sewing some big buttons on them. So I first removed the shoulder buttons.
|Folded Shoulder Buttons|
|Removing the shoulder buttons|
Next, I removed the straps at the sides of the waist.
|Say goodbye side straps|
The dress had 3 layers: one asymetrically-lined sheer white outer layer, the pretty blue and polka dot middle layer, and a shorter sheer slip underneath. I carefully removed the under layer slip.
|Separated under slip|
Then I laid them on top of each other and cut off the original straps.
|Cut off the top|
I flipped the under slip layer inside out and laid it on the outside of the other 2 layers, sewing together all 3 layers at the cut edges.
|Re-arranging the layers|
|Sewing along the cut edges|
With the original under layer re-attached on top, I flipped it up, and cut along the lined seam down the center. Then I folded over and sewed a short hem on both sides of the seam I had just cut.
|Preparing for buttons|
On one side I sewed on buttons I picked up at JoAnn's, and on the other side I sewed in button holes (which were a pain in the neck!). The fabric was so delicate that it kept getting caught in my machine. So I cut open one of the side straps I had removed and laid it under where I sewed the button hole just to make it more sturdy. I cut off the excess after sewing the button holes.
|Sewing on buttons|
|Button-holing (with extra material)|
Next I removed the side seams to make some arm holes. and re-sewed the sides up to a point which would make the sleeves loose and airy.
|Make space for the arms!|
I sewed together the seams at the shoulders, and shaped the neckline by cutting, folding, and sewing the front and back of the neck, cutting off the excess material.
|Folding, shaping, sewing!|
Finally, I folded and sewed a small open hem at the waistline. I took some thin elastic, attached one end with a safety pin and the other end with a bobby pin, and pushed the elastic all the way around the waistline opening, sewing the ends closed.
|Elastic in the waist|
Once I was done, I threw a light slip underneath and had a brand new dress!
Here again is the hospital-chic look from before:
|Before: In need of some resuscitation|
And here is the new, fresh, light dress transformation:
|After: from behind|
It turned out just how I wanted it to! From hospital-chic to kind of boho-chic. And given that the weather reached nearly 100 degrees in SoCal last week, I'd imagine that a light, airy maxi-dress might be a welcome relief for the upcoming Summer heat (thought it's pouring rain today)!
I hope you liked my newest transformation! And thanks for being so patient for it. I haven't quite figured out yet how to regularly schedule in time to sew, but I hope sewing will become a regular part of my weekly routine soon. We'll see what treasures I find next!
Until next time, blessings.