Saturday, July 19, 2014

#72: Sweater Dress

So, you might look at this post and think, What's wrong with you Leanne? Don't you know it's been ridiculously hot?!! Yes, I know it has been ridiculously hot, but I actually completed this transformation on an eeri-ly cold weekend back in May. So I'm sane ;)


I picked up this looooong sweater for $1 at a thrift store. It's so body-hugging that I felt kind of shaped like an Oscar.


Before: Long Turtleneck Sweater

Before: From behind


This piece was outdated, long, and had a big hole in the shoulder.


Hole


So first, I hand-sewed the big hole, as well as 3 smaller holes at the neck.


Sewing holes


Next, I removed the turtleneck collar and fake-serged the edges of the new neckline


Turtle, turtle!


After that, I measured and cut over a foot of length from the bottom and hemmed it up.


So long...long!

We be hemmin'!


I wanted to add a bit of detail to take this out of plain and blank status. I decided to make pockets.

For this, I cut 2 squares from the length material I had removed, and sewed on some of the turtleneck material to give them texture.


Adding texture

Then I shaped the pockets and sewed them onto the front of the piece near the bottom.


Pinned and ready to sew

And I was done!


Here again is how it looked before:


Before: Long Turtleneck Sweater

Before: From behind

And here is my version of a more modernized sweater dress:


After: Sweater dress

After: Pockets!

After: From behind

I like the re-do, but I think this may have to sit in my closet for a while until it gets colder outside.


Sometimes you can get something slightly damaged for super cheap, and make the repairs and changes yourself to save some big bucks!

I hope you liked it!

Until next time, blessings : )

No comments:

Post a Comment