Sunday, January 12, 2014

#64: Teal Bib Shirt

Welcome back!

Today's transformation post is one I completed just before New Year. I found this shirt at a thrift store for $1. It looked Indian-inspired to me with all the color and patterns.


Before: Teal Bib Shirt

Before: From behind


The pink bib was definitely not working for me though. I felt like a big 'ol  baby.

Baby bib


 So that was the first to go...along with the gold ribbon down the front.

Removing the bib and ribbon


Once I had removed the bib and ribbon, I said so long to the shoulder pads.

So long shoulder pads!


After that, I cut off half of the sleeves which were really restricting, and set aside the leftover material.


Removing the sleeves


Then I hemmed the sleeves, hemmed the neckline, and removed the wide hem from the bottom to make the shirt longer.


~ ~ 

The area under the bib had left a dark pink stain, so I tried hand-washing it out.

Oh. My. Goodness. I'm so glad that I didn't wash this with my other clothes, because the instant it touched the water in my sink, the whole sink was deep blue. If it was losing that much dye, I thought it would eventually take the stain with it.


No luck. So I thought if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!


Rather than try to hide the stains, I followed the pattern and emphasized them. I did so by highlighting the front of the shirt by placing rosettes I made with the extra sleeve material.

To do this, I cut the sleeve material in a zigzag pattern so I ended up with long strips. Then I pinned one end down, twisted the long strip, and rolled it up into a rosette.


Rolling rosettes


I stitched the rosette layers together, then I sewed them down the front of the shirt.


Sewing the rosettes to the front


Here again is how the shirt looked before:


Before: Teal Bib Shirt


And here is how it looked afterward.



After: Teal Rosette Shirt



So there you go! Repurposed the sleeves for the rosettes, removed the bib, and gave it a while new look. Like I've said before, sometimes you just need to take off something that shouldn't have been there to transform a look.

Until next time, blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment