Tuesday, July 30, 2013

#46: Blue Patterned Dress

Hi!

So, I've got a brand new thrift find that I'm SUPER excited about. I'm not so sure that I can pull this one off, but I'm working on it. Check the end of this post for a sneak peek photo of my next challenge...

In lieu of that one, I'd like to share a transformation I whipped up in the few minutes I had before work yesterday. It only has 3 steps, and involves NO SEWING!!

I found this blue patterned dress at a thrift store for less than $3.


Before: Blue Patterned Dress

Before: From Behind

I really liked the pattern, but the shoulder pads made the bust fit awkwardly and the sleeves were an odd short length. I had a bunch of ambitious ideas for this dress, but I realized that I wanted to keep the main integrity of the dress and alter it slightly to suit my needs.

So, I transformed it in the following 3 steps:

1) First, I cut out the shoulder pads.

So not needed.

2) Second, I cut short sleeves.

Sleeves cut off

3) Third, I attempted to use a product called Fray Check to seal the frayed edges of the sleeves, but it took too long to dry and wasn't fully effective.

Maybe for another project, Fray Check

So instead I used a liquid adhesive called "No Sew Thread" that I found at the dollar store, spread it across the inside edge of the sleeves, and folded a new hem.

No Sew Thread

Folding a new hem

Wow. This stuff worked wonders! it dried quickly, and held firm with no sewing!


Here again is the before photo:

Before: Boring Blue Patterned Dress

Three steps, about 15 minutes, and some accessories, and I was ready to go to work:


After: Sophisticated Blue Patterned Dress

After: From Behind

After

I unbuttoned the top buttons, paired it with some matching earrings, a simple black belt to accentuate the waist, and some black shoes. I thought about cutting the length and altering the top, but I found that the removal of the shoulder pads made the top sit better, and it was already a good length for work.

Sometimes it doesn't take a whole lot to give a thrift store find some new life!


I hope you liked it! And ***drumroll, please*** here's a foretaste of what I'm working on next...



**Squeeeee!**

I hope I can pull it off! We'll see...... :)

Until next time, blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment