Monday, June 10, 2013

#40: Leather Rocker Bracelet Copycat

I'm excited for today's post, as I made it for my man!

So my husband and I have been a couple for almost 10 years (wow!). Over the years, I have supported him through many changes in his style, from baggy button-up dragon shirts, to chain pants with braided hair, to jeans and a t-shirt with a shaved head. Now, he's starting to get into more of a rock style with stretched ears and rocker jewelry.

His birthday is coming up soon, and he's really hard to shop for. He's been eying this leather bracelet online, but hasn't bought it because all the reviews say it's super smelly (check it out on Amazon here).


The Inspiration: Leather Rocker Bracelet


Inspiration: The back


Inspiration: Open

I decided that I'd give it a try to see if I could make him a copy-cat bracelet without the smell or the price!

I didn't know how this would turn out, so I didn't think to take lots of process pictures. Sorry.

First, I made a trip to JoAnn's to find some fabric. They don't carry leather, so I got some of the best synthetic material I could find with my 40% off coupon :)

I sewed 2 layers together in a rectangular shape with rounded edges.

Rounded Pleather Rectangle

I then gathered a binder clip, some flat push pins, and 3 small belt buckles my friend sent me in a sewing package a few months ago (thanks A.S.!).


Binder clip, small belt buckles

Flat push pins

I sewed 2 long, thin, double-sided strips and 2 medium ones (I found the material stuck to the metal of the presser foot on my sewing machine, so I ended up placing a piece of paper over the fabric, sewed through the paper, and simply ripped it away. No more sticking!). My husband wanted the ends to be pointy, so I sewed and cut the ends of the strips to a point.

I connected the 2 medium strips by looping the binder clip between them. Then I sewed each of the ends of all 3 strips into 3 different belt buckles.

Next, I strategically pushed the push pins through the strips to match the original. Then I bent them so they wouldn't poke through (I did something similar with brads on this purse I made back in January, but I couldn't find any silver brads at the store, and don't have a rivet presser, so push pins were the next best thing).

I sewed each strip in place onto the rectangular base, and voila! I was done!

Here's how the original Amazon version looked again:

The Inspiration

Inspiration: the back

Inspiration: Open



And here's my wonderful husband modeling the copycat bracelet:

After: Copycat Rocker Bracelet

After: the back

Here it is up close:

After: Up close

After: the back

After: Open

Happy birthday Honey!! I'm glad I could custom-make you something you like!

And I hope you readers like it too! It's fun to post something a little different from my usual feminine clothes.

I hope you all have a fantastic, enjoyable week! Thanks for reading!

Until next time, blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment