In the meantime as I try to figure out what my next project will be (and when to sit down and do it), I'd like to share with you one of my favorite projects from the Summer.
|Before: Blue Velvet Dress|
|Before: from behind|
I found this blue velvet dress for a few bucks while thrifting with a friend. I almost left without it, but this was one of those pieces so outrageous that I had to have it. It was calling my name! Problem was, it was way too small for me. Making a big dress smaller is easy, but making a too-small dress larger is a challenge. Good thing I'm up for a challenge!
The first thing I did was flip this dress around so the zipper was in the front. Then I completely removed the zipper. This left the whole front open.
Next, I cut off half of the skirt. To make the piece wider, I cut straight down the center of the new back to the built-in waist. I used a piece of the skirt I had just cut off to create a center panel and sewed it into the back, keeping the dipped waistline.
|New center panel down the back|
I needed to add more space around the arms, so I added a small piece of fabric at each shoulder. I also added a diamond-shaped patch at the underarm seams.
|Inside diamond patch|
|Outside diamond patch|
I also sewed away some of the excess material below the waistline on both sides so it wouldn't billow out so far, but the wavy waist hid the seams well.
I also hemmed the bottom of the piece so it dipped widely in the back.
|Dipped bottom hem|
Now that I had widened the piece and given it a foundational shape, it's time to embellish with details.
I cut and hemmed a rectangular piece of the skirt I had cut off and did a straight stitch across the top of the square, pulling it taut to scrunch it.
Then I hand-stitched the scrunched side upside down to the dipped waistline on the back.
|Sewed to the back waistline|
I flipped the section down.
Next, I used my handy trick of taking 2 large buttons and painting them gold with fingernail polish.
Once dried, I sewed the 2 gold buttons at the corners of the scrunched rectangular flap.
|Gold buttons and flap|
Almost done! I took 2 smaller buttons and painted them light blue with fingernail polish and sewed them to the front at the waistline.
I sewed another thin blue strip and cut 2 slits for the buttons (this was when I had my old machine that didn't have a button-hole sewing feature).
|Button hole strip|
This strip also helped with the width of the piece.
After the cutting, painting, and stitching, the piece was finally done!
|Before: Blue Velvet Dress|
And here's the after transformation:
|After: Blue Velvet Jacket|
|After: From behind|
|After: From the side|
|Tale as old as time....|
"She wore blue velvet"
I hope you liked it! I'm glad I was able to get creative and make it wider.
As I get more settled into my work routine, I hope to find more time to work on new projects. By the way, here's a reminder about the Pasadena Dance Festival that I'll be teaching at on April 27th. Click here for more info!
Until next time, blessings!