Sunday, December 1, 2013

#61: Black and White Lace Dress

Happy December! I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving weekend. I was sick, but it gave me some good time to rest and relax at home.

My Thanksgivings are full of food and family. Typically I spend pre-Thanksgiving with my family, and Thanksgiving Day with my in-laws. I worked on this dress for Thanksgiving dinner with my family over a week ago, but I haven't had consistent internet for over a month now to post it (sucks, I know. Hopefully it will be fixed soon).


Before: Black and White Lace Dress

Before: From behind



I liked the dress structure, but the off-white thick lace strips covering the seams and the over-frilly back was throwing it off. I'm pretty sure it was someone else's project before it landed in my hands.


There wasn't a whole lot I did to revive this dress. The first thing I did was carefully remove the off-white lace strips from the whole piece.


Removing the lacy ribbon

Almost all off!


Next, I removed the scratchy shoulder lifting material so the shoulders would lay more flat.

No more puffy shoulders


After that, I cut and sewed a new bottom hem because the under layer edges were very ratty. I also snipped around the edges of the sleeves and bust to make it look more clean (like I said, it looked like someone's project that was all unevenly cut).

Lastly, I folded and sewed a new hem across the top back to reduce the frilly-ness a bit.

Added some accessories and I was ready for dinner :)


Here again is the before photo:


Before: Frilly Black and White Lace Dress

 

Before: From behind


And here's after the simple alterations:


After: Less-frilly Black and White Lace Dress (AFTER dinner : P )

After: From Behind



Sometimes all it takes to make a piece look better is taking something off that shouldn't be there : )

Now that Thanksgiving has passed, and Hanukkah is chugging along, and Christmas, Kwanza, and other holiday festivities are barreling toward us, I wonder: what is your favorite part of the holiday season? Got a favorite tradition? A favorite food? A favorite song? A favorite scent? Let me know in the comments section below!

Until next time, blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment